Mama Makeka House of Hope Blog

Welcome to our new blog! Please bear with us as we are just getting started. For more information on the Mama Makeka House of Hope visit our website.

November 24, 2009

People of the Sunrise

I live in Fresno where flying out of Fresno Air Terminal (FAT)in winter can be very challenging because of the fog. I am always amazed about the changes that take place within just a few minutes after take off. Without exception, I always see the sun shinning. It is even more beautiful when it is in the morning. I wonder if that is not case of DR Congo. Most people think of Congo in terms of the fog but cannot imagine that the sun could shine. Each and every way I turn I hear people talk about the heart of darkness, Congo with its potential, Congolese running away from their country, and corruption.

As a congolese who have lived for a long time in the US and traveled the globe, I refuse now to only think of DR Congo in terms of heart of darkness or its potentials. We are a people of the sunset and we must take advantage of the time to use our God given gifts to improve the quality of lives of our brothers and sisters in Congo.

I have observed that it is very easy for all of us to focus on the wrong done to our people by the Belgians, Mobutu, and our neighbors. We cannot deny all that, however, we still have the chance of the sun that is still shinning. We must take advantage of it now ortherwise we will disapear with those countries that are nearing the sunset. Some are 4pm and looking for other nations to take along into a deep darkness that has not future.

I have been hearing each time I go back to Congo in the past five years about how the Chinese are going to change things for Congo. I think the Chinese have their reasons for focusing in Africa. What is amazing is that when I visited with a friend I grew up with in Congo this afternoon, we laughed about how history tends to repeat and yet we don't learn from it. In the 60's Mulele led a rebellion in the Kwilu Dirstrict and the rebels destroyed almost all the infrastructures because they were a reminder of the Belgian and American imperialism. How were they going to be replaced? Of course by the Chinese. Many of the buildings, bridges, and industries destroyed with the hope of being rebuilt by the Chinese are still not rebuilt yet. Maybe those architects are still working on the plans for the whole Kwilu district.

There might be fog but the sun is shining and we must take advantage of it. There are many ways we can be involved. I will explore some of those opportunities in my next reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment